Criminal records

What will a child need to tell their employer?

    What a child needs to tell their employer about their previous convictions depends on how old they were when convicted (or cautioned) and the sentence or punishment they received:

    • It is helpful to get a list of previous convictions, cautions and any other police intelligence held on the police national computer. The YOT may be able to get this, alternatively it is possible to apply for a data access request (this costs £10), find out how to do this here.
    • In most jobs, a person does not have to tell their employer about any spent convictions. Find out about whether a conviction is spent or unspent conviction is here.
    • For jobs working with children and vulnerable adults, a person needs an enhanced criminal record check. This means all previous convcitions, cautions and relevant police intelligence will be disclosed.
    • More information about what to tell an employer can be found here.

    Sometimes insurance companies, colleges and universities can also ask whether a person has previous convictions.

    The High Court has recently ruled that the enhanced criminal record check regime is unlawful, read more here.

    We are always trying to improve our site. Your feedback will help us improve it...

    Leave Us Feedback

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)