Children and young people may be vulnerable because of factors related to their personal development, features of their family life, or because of wider influences that impact on them within their community.
Vulnerable witnesses are defined by section 16 YJCEA as:
- All child witnesses (under 18); and
- Any witness whose quality of evidence is likely to be diminished because they:
- are suffering from a mental disorder;
- have a significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning; or
- have a physical disability or are suffering from a physical disorder.