We offer highly regarded youth justice training courses for solicitors and barristers representing children in the criminal courts. The trainings cover all major aspects of youth justice law and practice and are delivered by a specialist team of leading youth justice lawyers, incorporating interactive workshops led by young people with personal experience of the youth justice system.
In July 2017, the Lord Chief Justice observed that ‘it would be difficult to conceive of an advocate being competent to act in a case involving young witnesses or defendants unless the advocate had undertaken specific training’. We believe that all children deserve to interact with lawyers who have specialist skills and knowledge and our training is essential for anyone undertaking this work.
We also run youth justice law courses for youth offending teams. We equip attendees with a clear understanding of the legal framework which underpins the youth justice system and empower them with the knowledge they need to feel confident in court.
Click below to find out about our upcoming training sessions:
Our training programme:
The knowledge and expertise of our lawyers combined with the lived experience of our young trainers is what makes our training unique. The topics covered include the following:
- Overview of the youth justice system
- Principles of the youth justice system (incl. UNCRC and international law)
- Children at the police station and out of court disposals
- Law and practice: children in the youth court
- Law and practice: children in adult courts
- Modern slavery and child criminal exploitation
- Criminal behaviour orders and civil injunctions
- Effective communication: importance of background
- Capacity in criminal proceedings: effective participation & fitness to plead
- Strategic litigation and children’s rights
- Role plays with youth justice trainers
- Q&A with former clients
- Case studies
Youth Justice Summit
Our annual Youth Justice Summit brings together professionals from across the youth justice sector to hear from young people and renowned experts, discuss important issues in youth justice law and practice, and work towards building a community of youth justice professionals.
We will be holding the next YJLC Youth Justice Summit in June 2020. Register your interest here.
What people say
Some feedback we have received:
‘The best bit of the course for me was the interaction and feedback from young clients combined with clear guidance on the law. I am now more aware of the provisions in relation to young people and I feel now that even though I don’t know all the answers, I now know where to look.’ Pupil barrister
‘Just for Kids Law inspired me to try to make a difference and affirmed my belief that children deserve the best legal representation possible. Through attending their training, I now feel able to provide quality representation to children with the requisite high standards of care, knowledge and passion.’ Ita Farrelly, Taylor Haldane Barlex LLP
- Over 95% said that they would change at least one element of their practice as a result of the course;
- 95% of delegates said they would recommend the course to colleagues.
As well as our annual programme of youth justice training courses, we offer bespoke training sessions for barristers, solicitors and youth offending teams.
The trainings can be tailored to accommodate either established practitioners or more junior professionals and we can arrange in-depth sessions on specific areas of law.
Our team can deliver the trainings at your offices and can work around busy court schedules by delivering sessions in the evenings or on Saturdays.
Please email email@example.com for details.