Youth Justice Advocacy Training – For Pupils and Junior Barristers (Manchester)
About the event
Date: Saturdays 6 & 13 April 2019
Time: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
For: Pupils and Junior Barristers
Refreshments: Tea & coffee
Price: £295 for junior barristers or £250 for pupils
This training is an essential course for all barristers who will be appearing in the youth court and representing children in the adult criminal courts. The Inns of Court College of Advocacy (ICCA) encourages anyone practising in youth justice to undertake this training.
The course is delivered by leading youth justice practitioners and provide particpants with an overview of youth justice law princples and youth specific criminal law.
The course involves the participation of young people with experience of the criminal justice system and includes exercises and role plays to develop participants’ engagement and communication skills with children and young people. The course will involve break out sessions tailored to the experience of participants to address more complex issues arising in youth justice cases.
This training session covers:
- How to communicate and engage effectively with children
- Key youth justice principles and an overview of the youth justice system
- Youth-specific criminal law including out of court disposals, bail and remand, jurisdiction issues, adaptations to the trial process
- The importance of the background and needs of the child
- Specific protections for looked after children and victims of trafficking
- How to identify and address effective participation and fitness to plead issues
- The role of Youth Offending Teams and the Youth Justice Board
- The sentencing framework relating to children
- Legal duties owed to children and other local organisations
“Thanks again for Saturday, it was incredibly helpful and I’m so glad I got to do it before I got on my feet!”
“This was an incredibly high-quality training, really impressive and useful, and really appreciate the care and thought put into developing such effective and practical training.”
“Very informative and useful! […] a completely different approach to dealing with a case involving a young person.”
£250.00 – £295.00