Introduction to Youth Justice Law for non-lawyers
About the event
Date: 20 June 2019
Location: Paul Hastings LLP, central London
Time: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
For: Professionals who are non-lawyers
Refreshments: Teas, coffees and working lunch
Price: £85 per person
This seminar provides an overview of the youth justice system and explains the process children will go through from arrest or police interview to court. It provides guidance and information on child specific rights and responsibilities for anyone interested in youth justice. We also provide practical advice on how best to support children in police interviews or going to court.
Our introduction to youth justice law seminar is aimed at workers and professionals supporting children who come into contact with the criminal justice system. The course will give practitioners an overview of the criminal justice system and provide guidance on how best to support children and young people.
Our training is delivered by a specialist team of leading youth justice lawyers, together with interactive workshops with youth justice trainers who have had experience of the criminal justice system.
The training session covers:
- An overview of the youth justice system
- The importance of the background and needs of the child
- Stop & search, arrest of child suspects – police powers and duties
- Arrest, detention of children at police stations and police interviews – police powers and duties, the role of the appropriate adult and how to support child suspects
- Decisions to prosecute and diverts child suspects
- Going to court, the role of supporting adults and how to support child defendants.
- Including, supporting children applying for bail, children on remand and youth sentencing
- Childhood criminal records
- Special protections for looked after children and victims of trafficking
“Very interesting and informative. Really enjoyed this training and feel tooled to support my young people in the correct way.”
“I thoroughly enjoyed the training and it will definitely assist me in my practice, so thank you again to you and your team.”
“Really enjoyed this training session & was nice to be trained by someone with such diverse and expertise knowledge. Really friendly group & was great to make some professional links.”